Home > Legal Action > Legal Help After a Traffic Accident

Legal Help After a Traffic Accident

By: Tracy Whitelaw - Updated: 25 Aug 2016 | comments*Discuss
Legal Help With Traffic Accident Who Do

If you’ve been unfortunate enough to be involved in a traffic accident, there are a variety of options available to you post-accident with regards to legal representation. In many cases, hopefully the accident will have been so minor, there will be no need to seek further legal assistance, but in some cases you may wish to pursue a personal injury claim or a property claim against the other individual involved in the accident. In these circumstances, it’s difficult at times to know where to begin or who to ask for help. There are a few different forms of legal help you may consider, dependent on the situation.

First Things First

When you’ve been involved in a traffic accident, there are a few pointers that you should keep in mind before you contact anyone. Try to get as much information as possible on the scene. It’s extremely important to collect details such as the other individuals name, address, phone number and of course the same details of any witnesses who are in the vicinity. Also, if possible take photos of the other driver and the scene of the accident. These can help with claims further down the line.

If the police are in attendance, get the names of the police officers dealing with the accident and identify any injuries to them and to the other driver. Keeping all the details of what happened is very important as when you go on to seek legal advice, they will want to know as much information as possible about what happened.

All accidents should be reported to the police within 24 hours and you should inform your insurance company as quickly as possible. If you don’t inform them in a timely manner, they may have the right to refuse insurance for you as the policy you signed may state all accidents are reported within a set time.

Speak to Your Citizens Advice Bureau

One of the best places to consult after a traffic accident is your Local Citizens Advice Bureau. They will be able to tell you whether you may have a claim for personal injury or for property damage. If you’ve spoken to your insurance company and you feel there may be further compensation owed to you, speak to someone at your Citizen’s Advice Bureau before employing the help of anyone else.

They can advise you on whether legal representation is needed and if they think you have a chance at a claim. They will also have a variety of specialist accident claims solicitors on their books so you’ll be secure in the knowledge that if you do follow this route, you’re getting a reliable solicitor.

Seeking Out a Specialist Solicitor

If you decide to contact someone to help with any legal issues you may face after a traffic accident, you will most likely need to contact an accident claims specialist. These individuals and companies generally work solely on personal injury claims for compensation after an accident and therefore have a vast amount of experience. They will be able to take you from your initial consultation right through to your final payout, usually without too much stress.

Dependent on the nature of your case, you may be eligible for a no win no fee basis or a 100% compensation basis. Always read the small print if you’re employing a solicitor to act on your behalf. They shouldn’t ask you for any money upfront and many won’t charge you at all. They tend to seek monetary compensation from the insurers of the individual you’re claiming against.

Specialist solicitors can advise you on the chances of a successful claim as well as organising your case into a concrete claim for compensation. They will help you collate all the evidence you need to prove you have suffered from the accident and that it wasn’t your fault. They should generally be your first port of call when you truly believe you have a traffic accident claim, but always look for someone that others have deemed reliable and trustworthy. Spend time speaking to a few different accident claim specialists before deciding on one for you.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
My son drove his moped into a parked car, he has suffered injuries but no one else. The car & moped were damaged, the police were at the scene and now he is out of hospital want to interview him. They have asked if I will have legal representation? Do I need this or is it a standard question?
Accident advice - 25-Aug-16 @ 1:03 PM
I was involved in an accident at a junction, in a daylight. I was going to turn right on a dual carriageway, 40mph. a lady on my left side stopped to let me go, I had a car on my rightslowing down turning left. I collided with the second car who was on my right. By own admission the driver realized the car on my left had stopped to let me go. I assume the second car did not see me turning or impatient to wait. The third party was driving acar belongs to a client who parked at the airport. Before the police attended he had gone, living his telephone number. the police attended and breathalyzer me. Unfortunately, I only have a third party insurance. I believe is a 50%50 liability, please share your view. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will call my Insurance in the morning. Thank you
Pdeluca - 11-Mar-16 @ 7:02 PM
@Bill. Make an appeal to the insurance company stating that you feel you were not at fault. If you can get an opinion from a third party expert that would help your case.
TrafficAccidentAdvice - 21-Apr-15 @ 12:25 PM
I was involved in a RTA on a largeroundabout. I was turning right. Whilst on the roundabout another driver joined , behind and to my left. At no time did I overtake any vehicles, I signaled and went to exit the roundabout when the other driver hit the left side of my car with the front right side of hers. My insures have declared me responsible as I was "changing lane". I'm not sure how one exits a two lane roundabout without doing precisely that. I made all observations and signaled as directed in the highway code. Please advise how I should proceed to ascertain whether this is a correct judgement and hopefully recoup my excess. Initially, am I able to speak with someone about the incident as the whole thing becomes protracted when attempting to describe in written form. Thank you.
Bill - 18-Apr-15 @ 1:08 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: