Home > In an Accident > Work Related Traffic Accidents

Work Related Traffic Accidents

By: Tracy Wilkinson - Updated: 3 Dec 2016 | comments*Discuss
Accident Traffic Crash Injury

Lots of drivers in the UK are company car drivers, or are driving during the course of their employment. If this applies to you, it is important that you know what to do in the event that you are involved in a road traffic accident and if you are injured while working what you need to do if you want to claim compensation.

As you are driving as an employee, you may have different contacts to regular drivers and so should always make sure that in your car you have a number of things that can assist you in the event that you end up being involved in a road traffic accident. These include:

  • a pen and notepad: so you can take contact and insurance details from other parties and leave them with yours.
  • A disposable camera : it might be worth asking your fleet manager to provide you with one to keep in your glove compartment (if they haven't already)
  • Your fleet managers/line manager's emergency telephone number
  • An accident form : These have a number of sections that allows you to draw an image of the scene of the accident and vehicle damage from the crash. You can usually get these from your fleet manager.

So, if you've taken that advice and have everything you needed, what happens next when you've been in a crash?

Try To Stay As Calm As You Ca

Look around, call the emergency services if necessary, and wait for them to attend. It's probably better not to administer first aid yourself even if you are qualified to do. Make sure that anyone involved in the accident is safely away from the scene.


Don't admit that you were at fault for the accident, regardless of who is to blame. Do not sign anything at all that the other party gives you as they may later claim you signed to admit your liability.

Using the accident form mentioned earlier, make a note of the date and time of the accident and where it happened. Make sketches. Fill in all sections possible, including the contact section for the other drivers.

Take as many photos as you can, especially those that highlight if the other driver was at fault, such as angle of impact or skid marks on the road. Make sure you're not in danger while taking the photos though - i.e. don't stand in the middle of the motorway to take them.

If you have any evidence or debris from the accident, keep hold of it. If necessary it can be used as part of a police investigation to determine what happened and who is at fault.

Insurance Documentation

If anyone is injured (other than you), an animal is injured (other than one you were carrying) or another vehicle/property belonging to someone else is damaged, then you need to provide the other party(ies) with your insurance documentation to anyone who has reasonable grounds to ask for it. If you don't have it with you, then you must tell the police about the accident as soon as you can but within 24 hours. They will need to see your insurance documentation.

You must report the incident to the company that manages your accident control or your fleet manager as soon as you can. They will be able to start the process that you need to follow if you are claiming compensation and will be able to advise you.

Going To Hospital

If you are even slightly injured or suspect you may be in shock or have whiplash then take yourself off to the nearest hospital as soon as you can. If you wish to make a compensation claim in the future, then you will need a doctor to confirm that you were injured at the time of the crash. If you don't do this and make a claim later on then you may find that your compensation payment is greatly reduced.

Finally, in summary, it's worth bearing in mind that

  • You should be covered by your employer's vehicle insurance, whether or not you are liable for the bump.
  • If you are injured while cycling or walking in the line of duty then your employer will likely be liable as they would be for any industrial injury - unless it can be proved that you acted negligently.
  • You may be able to claim under the industrial injuries scheme if you are unable to return to work or have to take time off to recover.
  • If you are a member of a trade union, then speak to them as they may be able to assist in any legal action or claims that you take against your employer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
I was in the works yard when I was walking to my van a mobile mechanic also in the yard ran over me knock me to the floor y he was reversing k went under the van he ran over my legsomebody shouted to him stop he then went forward his comment was he didn't see me
Debi - 3-Dec-16 @ 8:15 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: